It only took us 3 wrong ways to find the right way to the Mammoth caves near Brian Head, UT. That's what we get for following Grandma Kay. These pictures were fun to take because it was pitch black in the caves. The only light we had were flashlights and these glow necklaces. The first cave the kids and I went through was smaller. At the beginning you are walking hunched over. Near the end you are on your hands and knees crawling over large rocks and ducking your head from the top of the cave. Near the end I heard alot of our group saying they were turning around to go back. Aunt Tricia was in front of me and the kids. I decided since she hadn't turned back I wasn't going to. It was nice to hear Justin say, "There's no way your going to fit through here mom." Then Courtney, "You can do it mom." I didn't break my camera and only had sore knees from the rocks, but I could say I did it.
Then we went through a much larger cave. You could stand up the whole time. The kids loved it and went all the way to the back of the cave. This one didn't have an opening on both ends so we hiked to the back of it and back out. I wussed out the last 100 yards because the rocks were so slippery I didn't want to hurt my ankle. Then I couldn't run and would surely gain 10 pounds while healing. Courtney loves to hike and I had to tell her she was helping me hike and that was why I was holding her hand. Ashley & Justin found other hikers to go with and only stayed close because I had the flashlight.
I hope my flash isn't the reason Aunt Oralynn bonked her head.
Coming back from the end of the cave.
Waiting our turn to climb out the smaller opening in the first cave.
"Where's mom? I think she's over there, just smile!"
Yeah! We made it.
1 comment:
We are the women, huh? I love going through that cave, but everytime I do it, I have to talk myself into finishing.
Post a Comment