Saturday, September 27, 2008

Baby Steps

This is going to be a religious post. So those of you who do not want to hear all of my crazy Mormon talk, close your eyes right now. Then move your mouse to the upper hand corner and click the red X. I am sure my next post will be un-religious and readable.





Today, Ashley's friend is going to be baptized. I really wanted to go and was excited when we got invited. I was thinking Ashley is going to be baptized in one year and three months. I want her to be able to see her friend and be excited about what she herself will be going through in a year. I also started thinking about how un-ready she is and our family. I am going to admit this on the internet for all family and friends to see. I have been lacking in the church related side of our family. Yep, no FHE nights, no scripture reading...it goes on & on. So I decided to make a list of all the things I want our family to be doing. I also know if I make the list and say okay starting today we are going to be doing all these things, it would last about a week. I read somewhere to make a habit of something you have to do it for 21 days straight. My goal is to start one of these items on my list and do it for a month and then start another item the next month. By the time Ashley is baptized we should have a bunch of new, good for our family, habits.

I also loved the idea that Randy's sister Tricia did when she made a comforter (quilt) for Katie-Jo when she was baptized. She received the Holy Ghost as a comforter as well as the quilt her mother made for her that day when she was baptized. I always wanted to do that. If I start it now I just might have it done in a year.

MY GOAL FOR JANUARY 2010: (not in any particular order)

1. Family Scripture Reading
2. Personal Scripture Reading
3. Family Home Evenings (Monday night-That means a lesson not just family FARM Time!)
4. Personal Prayers (Everyone)
5. Once a month Fasting
6. One on One time with each of our children (Father-Daughter, Mother-Son, Father-Son, & Mother-Daughter)
7. Make the Quilt!

The small list of things we are already doing:

Family Prayers Nightly
Going to Church Every Week

I know, pitiful.

I also want Ashley to decide for herself if she wants to be baptized and know what commitments she will be making. This is a very important time in her life and I want her to KNOW what it all means. Not just a cool bath in the church in front of family & friends.

Thanks for listening to my goals, I know if I am telling semeone else it will give me more motivation to accomplish it.

4 comments:

Todd and Haylee said...

Good for you! It's hard keeping up with everything. Good luck!

P Haggard said...

You can do this! It does seem overwhelming, but when you make it a part of your life--it will work. Any don't forget to do what works for you! As an example--we do our FHE on Sunday instead of Monday--and it almost always gets done.
Love you guys and miss you
Tricia

Anonymous said...

Heather,
I totally understand your feeling. I am trying to start these things too!
Janna

Hollie said...

Good for you Heather. I've noticed that even with Mckenzie that when we started doing prayers and scriptures with her every night she got used to it. So, if we got home late one night and we would just skip it, she would remind us that we didn't do it. So, once you start doing it your kids are going to remind you if you slack. I'd say especially the older ones:) Good luck!

Oh, and you should totally do a half marathon!!