Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Update on Courtney

So a week ago we took Courtney in to the doctor as a healthy kid no ear infections so they could take this machine and look in her ear to check the fluid behind the ear drum. So she did have fluid in her right ear. The doctor said she probably has fluid there all the time. That is probably the reason why her speech is behind. We were getting a little worried that she doesn't say many words and she is almost 2. So he said some kids have allergys to things and the body reaction is to have fluid in the ears and nasal cavities.

So we now have to avoid all dairy and give her dimetapp or triaminic twice a day. I would think we would know by now if she was allergic to dairy products, but the doctor said sometimes kids will be allergic but not have a very bad reaction. Anyway, we are on this diet and medicine for 2 more weeks and then we go back for another ear check. What I am curious to know is, if there is no fluid on the next checkup, is it because of the medicine clearing out her nasal cavities or the no dairy diet???? Anyway, no dairy is really hard. No cereal, no pancakes, only juice or water to drink, no ice cream, sherbert, eggs, yogurt or cheese. He also said not to give her soymilk because a small percentage of kids allergic to milk are allergic to soymilk. No Way. I got the soymilk. At least I can cook with that and she can have cereal in the morning.

So finding things to cook and have for snacks is getting a little difficult. She really did like to eat those cheese sticks for snacks and she loves milk. Poor kid. Hopefully this will clear up her problems. We will still probably have to get tubes in her ears and maybe the adnoids or tonsils.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Kid! Have you tried Rice Milk? It's not that bad. I have a good wheat bread recipe that doesn't have dairy in it and Mckenzie can't get enough of it. Mckenzie is also big into smoothies for breakfast.

Good Luck.

Anonymous said...

Sorry Heather, I was signed into my work account when I left the last comment:)

Heather said...

So what is American Warehouse? Yep, I was totally confused for a little while. I figured it out after reading McKenzie's name. So is rice milk in the milk section usually? You should definately send the wheat bread recipe. I love trying new bread recipes. Have you ever added things like flax seed or quinau (not sure on the spelling)?