Tuesday, September 18, 2007

More Healthy!

My goal in life is to strive to be more healthy, eat more healthier and excercise better. I was watching Oprah (which I never do) yesterday she was on with Dr. Oz. Here is what I learned, 1.we are supposed to have more fiber in our diets (25 g. for women and 35 g. for men). 2.We are supposed to have at least 1200mg calcium a day. If we aren't getting that from dairy products then we should get it in vitamin with at least 600-800 magnesium added. 3. Drink plenty of water, that is a given, but I guess some people drink in excess to have healthier skin, but that is a myth. We really only need our 8 cups and any extra is just extra. 4. If we have alot of stress instead of looking toward pills, we can add omega 3 acid or lots of fish and that will reduce stress and anxiety in our lives. I don't really like fish so I looked at the Flaxseed bag I bought at the store the other day and found out it has Omega 3 also. So that is really what I learned and I wanted to pass this knowledge onto you.

So I am going to add to my goals, more fiber, more calcium (probably in vitamin form) and more water and Omega 3 acid. So I looked up on the internet for some better foods that contain fiber. Besides adding flaxseed to my diet I want more fruits, grains, and veggies. For those of you who haven't heard of flaxseed you can get it in the same isle as flours. You can grind it up or leave it in seeds and add to breads, muffins, berry shakes for breakfast, or most dinners. ( I was going to add some recipes to my recipe blog with flaxseed)

Food with higher amounts of fiber:
Cereals, 100% bran cereal will give you (1/2 cup) 8.4 g. fiber, wheat germ (1/4 cup) 3.4. Veggies, Peas (1/2 c.)3.6 g., corn (1/2 c.) 2.9g., carrots (1/2 c.) 2.3 g. Fruit, apple with skin 3.5 g., pear with skin (1/2 large) 3.1 g., prunes (3), raisins (1/4 c.), raspberries (1/2 c), and strawberries (1 cup), will all give you about 3 g. Beans will give you anywhere from 4-9 grams.


Children
ages 1-3, cal. 1,404, and 19 g. fiber
4-8, cal. 1,789, and 25 g. fiber
Boys and Men
ages, 9-13 cal. 2,265 and 31 g.
14-18 cal. 2,840 and 38 g.
19-30cal. 2,818 and 38 g.
31-50 cal.2,554 and 38 g.
51-70 cal. 2,162 and 30 g.
70+ cal. 1,821 and 30 g.
Girls and Women
ages 9-13 cal. 1,910 and 26 g.
14-18 cal. 1,901 and 26 g.
19-30 cal. 1,791 and 25 g.
31-50 cal. 1,694 and 25 g.
51-70 cal. 1,536 and 21 g.
70+ cal. 1,381 and 21 g. fiber

Hope this was as informative for you as it was for me. :) :)

1 comment:

Hollie said...

I've been doing Fit for life, Not Fat for Life by Harvey Diamond. It's pretty interesting. It was written in the 80's. I actually like it a lot. One of the big things about it is only have fruit till noon. They say because of how the body's digestive cycle works, that's what the body needs. I do a lot of juicing these days. I'm also into juicing vegetables. Anyway, it's a good book. I got mine from amazon.com.